We all know stress is unhealthy, but many people don’t realize just how seriously the mental and physical effects of stress can be. Let’s look at all the stuff that happens to your body on stress from top to bottom.
- A stiff neck: from clenching your jaw.
- Hardening of the arteries: stress raises blood pressure, leading to this condition which can, in turn, increase the risk of stroke.
- Back pain: stress of the mental variety collects in our muscles and we feel pain in areas like the back.
- Weight gain: stress which triggers the release of cortisol (a hormone linked to increased cravings, overeating and weight gain), particularly around the middle.
- Weak immune system: increased cortisol weakens immune cells, leaving you vulnerable to infection and illness.
What’s a body to do?! Anything that reduces stress! Massage of course, but let’s not overlook Yoga, meditation, exercise, a good night’s sleep, and a healthy diet. Each of these things contributes to a lifestyle that can signficantly reduce the effects of stress on your body.
If stress is overtaking your body, consider treating yourself to a healing massage. Massage therapy itself can help you relax, and also take care of some those nasty stress side effects! Give me a call today at (518) 744-2315 to book an appointment.